Before hiring a realtor to sell your home, what should you know? What questions should you ask? In this episode, we discuss questions to ask before choosing a real estate agent including how they will market your home and their qualifications. We also look at how many realtors should you interview before choosing.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel:
Prefer to listen?
Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of Homebuyer's School. Today I'm joined by Kevin French with Remax Realty. And the question we're gonna answer today is:
What are some of the questions you should ask when choosing a realtor?
[00:00:30] First and foremost, if you're selling your property:
- What is their marketing plan?
- How are they going to appropriately market your property, and
- Get it sold in a timely manner for you?
Now, that includes professional photography, professional measurements that adhere to the Real Estate Council of Alberta's guidelines.
Is there somebody that's going to assist with getting the property prepared for not only sale, but the photos, most importantly.
Because that's what everybody's going to see online.
So, is there going to be a designer or someone [00:01:00] that is going to come through and help stage the property, give tips on what shouldn't be in the home. Such as personal photos, should never be on the walls when the property is listed for sale.
And then, after we figure out the marketing plan is:
- Do we have a schedule for this? So we're going to list on X date at X price.
- What is the process going forward?
- How am I going to find out what people are saying about the property?
- How do we decipher what they're trying to say, what their feedback is?
- Are we overpriced, [00:01:30] or is it something that we could ... is it a wall that needs to be painted, is it flooring that needs to be redone?
- What other reasons that the property's not selling? And can we realistically overcome these issues, or do we have to adjust pricing and let them deal with them on their own.
Karl Yeh: Okay. Any other questions?
- How long has the person been in the industry?
- What experience do they have?
- How many properties do they typically sell in whatever time frame you want to look at, in the last year or the last two years. [00:02:00]
- How many have they failed to sell? So not only just listed and sold, but you may have listed 10 homes but sold six. So why did those four not sell.
How many realtors should you interview before selecting one?
When you're choosing a realtor, how many realtors should you, in your opinion, interview or talk to and ask these questions?
Well always go with recommendations first. But it's always great to have a second opinion. So if a friend or a family member recommend somebody, absolutely meet with that person, [00:02:30] they're a recommendation.
So why wouldn't you? But then also look at the area experts and say, maybe I'll get these two people to come in. I'd say three is sufficient.
Karl Yeh: Three is sufficient.
Kevin French: Provided you're calling the right people?
Yeah. Does it matter whether it's one of the big branch like RE/MAX, or Century 21 or some of the bigger names? Does it matter or is it actually more specific on the realtor himself or herself?
It matters to some extent. [00:03:00] They all have different training programs. They'll have different support networks.
So you might go with one brokerage over the name, but you can go with another because maybe when you're interviewing that agent, they tell you about all the training programs that they have at their brokerage, and the other support networks that they have that assist them.
But at the end of the day, it does ultimately come down to the agent.
Karl Yeh: To the agent?
Kevin French: Yeah.
Karl Yeh: Great. Anything else to add?
Kevin French: No, I think we're good.
Awesome. Well, that's our show for today.
Also remember to watch our video playlist on selling your home.
Thank you very much for joining us and we'll catch you [00:03:30] next time.
Let us know if you have realtor or home buying related questions that we can answer by submitting them in the comments section below.
Homebuyer's School publishes new content weekly so subscribe or check back regularly for the latest information, strategies and tips from home buying experts.
About Kevin French:
Kevin French is a Calgary and area based realtor with a client focus. He specializes in a stress free home selling process that is built on customer service. Understanding that your home is one of your largest investments, Kevin employs a marketing mix that ensures you will maximize returns on your home sale. Diligent market research coupled with an in-depth understanding of the Calgary and area markets, allows Kevin to pinpoint the perfect price for your home.
In addition to perfect pricing, Kevin offers a suite of additional services such as professional photography and an interior designer to ensure your home shows its best. Kevin French has become a trusted name in real estate because he is results driven and works closely with his clients to produce the best results.